Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Heartbreak in the East: Hope in the Homeland

This last week has been a hard one for me. Living in the heart of hurricane land, I don't love when a storm comes along, but I don't worry too much.


Florida houses are typically built to withstand a category 3 hurricane (meaning winds as high as 130 mph and crazy rain for days), but the rest of the nation doesn't build to that standard.

As I watched the trajectory of Helene & listened to it being upgraded to a category 4, I knew the results wouldn't be pretty. Although grateful this storm missed us initially, my attitude changed when I heard about Tennessee and North Carolina. Georgia and South Carolina are dealing with the fallout too. I wished the hurricane had turned and hit us more fully because we have the response, the infrastructure, the attitude to face big scary storms and carry on.



Our governor put all the preemptive processes in place -- emergency workers, supply routes, road and electricity line repair -- but he couldn't do that for the other states. 

Especially the ones inland.

The stories... Oh the stories. I was drowning in heartache. (This is why I can't read WWII books, folks.) Two dams were oversaturated and burst, flooding whole towns. Family members lost. Livelihoods swept away. An inability to communicate with loved ones. I went to bed with tears in my eyes and prayers on my lips.


Answers come too. They didn't come from the federal government but from governors of neighboring states, from people whose hearts broke like mine who own helicopters, from good Samaritans who donated cash and goods. Desantis sent aid to the hardest hit areas FROM Florida and I cheered at every new development. Last I heard, he sent a brigade of road workers with bridge materials to help people trapped in the North Carolina mountains.


I still watch and worry and pray, and soon our family will trek out to assist with disaster clean up (as is our way), but it's incumbent on all of us to make the world better -- to find those who are suffering, to lift where we can, to BRING HOPE in place of devastation.


My prayers continue with those who have no electricity, no running water, who are scrambling for food and safety. At the same time, my heart is light knowing good people in the world are responding to the desperation. Lets be those good people, eh?


How is your heart holding up? How have you found peace despite the upheaval in the world? What are you doing to find/bring happiness each day?

3 comments:

  1. It is just devastating what happened. Living mid-state, our area missed most of the bad weather, but it hit our mountains hard. I've already donated to the Red Cross and our church is organizing donations to go directly to the mountains. As you said, continue to pray for those people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I check the news several times a day and it's just heartbreaking. I finally heard from one of my authors who lives in that area. They are okay but were without power for five days and no way in or out of their area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The joys of climate change... Your feeling about hurricanes is like my feeling about earthquakes. If only we kept the disasters we are used to. It's good when people can help. It's hard to see the stories of people hurting.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your cheese!