Wednesday, September 4, 2024

The Moment Reality HITS: What Do You Do?

What do you do when the world explodes? 


Do you hunker down and hope the storm passes?

Do you strap on your survival gear and explore the changes?

Do you hide behind your window and ignore the pretty, pretty disasters?


Me? I disappear and take up a new hobby. 😆 Apparently. With cheese. 



I don't know if anyone even comes here anymore because I've been so stinkin’ absent. So...
Things I've been up to:

• Teaching. Like literally, in a school setting. (Creating curriculum from scratch.) I taught several writing classes, a music writing class, geography, even preschool. *gasp* (Not full time. Nope. Too busy teaching my own kids the rest of the week.)
• Producing Musicals (and a play). That's right. 4 under my belt, two of which I cast and directed (and designed lights/projection, and so, so much more!). Tuck a talent show in there too (including all production aspects—finding a venue, tech design, all the way down to rehearsals with the talent) and we tally 5 separate shows. In two years.
  
• Running writing contests and playing editor for a couple anthologies.
• Had a son get married.

• Sent a daughter to the other side of the world serving a church mission.

• Graduated a third child.

• Reestablished a Drama Program: from fundraising to tracking down venues to building teams to casting... I've done it all AND wrote the manual for my successors. (Seriously though, 45 pages of best practices.)

Revised and workshopped MY musical. (Two years and counting, baby!) (“My" is a loose term referring to the Collier team, hubby and myself.)


• Held 2 low-key readings of my musical. (I say low-key, but that included creating rehearsal video for ALL music parts for ALL characters for a TWO HOUR SHOW. 1 to 12 vocal parts per song – let that sink in — and holding rehearsals/coaching sessions for performers. Whew!)

• Mixed 2 hours worth of orchestrations for a live performance. 😶

• Begun casting for a professional staged reading for IMMORTAL THE MUSICAL.
Those are just some of the highlights. 

What have you been up to?

Shameless plug: We’re looking for talent local to the Orlando area (singers/actors/sight readers). Know of someone? Send them my way!




Are you hunkering down? Taking the world by storm? Kicking the trash out of your goals? Hanging on by your nails?

8 comments:

  1. It's great to see you posting again. That's awesome that you're writing and directing plays. They're a lot of work. I enjoyed reading about what you've been up to. I hope you plan to continue blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best. Hopefully, I'll be back here once a month but we'll have to see how crazy things get.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's a lot but it has been several years. Congratulations on all the plays. Cool your kid went on a missions trip. Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crystal! Nice to hear from you. You've been busy - no wonder you haven't been online much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! But this is life. I'm sure everyone could find excuses to step away.

      Delete
  4. Wow, you've been so busy! Welcome back and congratulations on all the exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully I'll be a little more present in the future than this time around. :D

      Delete

Hit me with your cheese!