Wednesday, October 7, 2026

How to Inspire Others Like a Boss

Have you ever experienced that moment when someone's eyes lit because what you told them struck hard?

I'm teaching a writing class right now to kids 9 to 13 years old.

With the rare (singular) exception, at the beginning of the school year, every single student told me they don't like writing.

Challenge accepted.

I told them that by the end of the school year, every single one of them would love writing. And then we attacked writing in a way few of them had experienced before: from the heart.

Because I love writing -- sharing ideas that make other people think, smile, laugh, etc. -- I bring that excitement to the classroom. If my students catch fire, meaning they want to communicate the ideas in their heads, they'll be motivated independently to learn the syntax, grammar, etc., I just have to help them find the initial flame.

And I've already heard from a couple parents how pumped their kids are. I can see it in my student's eyes.

Do I expect perfection from these kids? Heck no. Their starting efforts are sloppy and riddled with holes, but they are trying, and with a little guidance, they are improving.

The same is true for people in our lives. We inspire them when we share what's in our hearts, when we reveal the inner fire. You can't inspire someone without a spark.

In other words, you have to BE what you preach.


Our awesome co-hosts this month are Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Liza at Middle Passages, JH Moncrieff, and Jemima Pett!

Today's question: Many people are calling for writers who use AI to disclose it. Most who employ ghostwriters do not admit it - do you think authors who use ghostwriters should have to disclose that, too?

Allow me to deviate from the actual question.

Here's where I straight up admit using AI -- to help prompt the twist of a phrase, sometimes to restructure a sentence that is befuddling me, to offers suggestions on imagery...which I usually ignore because, AI. However, if I admit to using AI to the general public, they form this idea that AI writes my stories based on a prompt and I edit a couple things here or there. I suppose what I'm saying is, there's no black and white on this concept. Also, I know kids who have been accused of using AI, simply because they had perfect grammar. This is a problem. So I'll leave that right there. Where do we draw the line?

(I look forward to other's thoughts on ghostwriters.)

Have you been inspired by someone's fire? Have you ever set someone on fire? (Not literally. Come on, folks!) What are your views on AI?

51 comments:

  1. Using AI to assist isn't a bad thing - it's like bouncing something off another writer.
    That's cool you got those kids excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Unfortunately, outside of the sane brains, there is a stigma.

      Delete
  2. Enthusiasm is contagious - you just keep those kids pumped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your writing class! You'll be a great teacher. That was a big promise you made to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids being accused of not writing their own stuff just because they have perfect grammar (or great writing in general) isn't new, unfortunately. Sounds like you're inspiring the next generation of great writers :-)

    Ronel the Mythmaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping. We need at least a few deep thinkers/communicators in the next generation!

      Delete
  5. I love that you help those kids. Reminds me of the WATCH Youth project Elizabeth Seckman coordinates. I got to help with it this year, and I was amazed at the writing the kids did. I could tell Liz had taught them well.

    I'm with you. AI is a tool. It's perfect for brainstorming at 3 AM and a great way to get un-stuck. AI-assisted search engines have reduced the time I spend doing research for my historical novels from weeks to days. Total gamechanger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz is amazing! One of my favorite people.

      And boy do I hear you on research! I was just telling my daughter in law the same thing.

      Delete
  6. I want to take your class too! And your comment on my blog today inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Okay...though the kids may look at you a little strange. Haha!

      Delete
  7. That sounds like one fun class! I adore teaching writing to kids. I've really enjoyed watching both my sons get into writing their own stuff. Even though I taught special ed, I tried to incorporate some creative writing from time to time, and there's nothing like seeing the spark of excitement about writing in a kid's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! And they are rediculously creative. Some of the things they come up with...

      Delete
  8. Getting kids excited about writing is great! I did that for years as a volunteer at an elementary school - running a lunch time creative writing workshop. It was fun to read what they created. I hope your kids bump into you years later and tell you they're still toying with writing or even better went on to publish a book. It's a great feeling. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, sounds like something you'd do. I love it! Here's to inspiring young minds, eh?

      Delete
  9. Wow, that's a tall order--to make kids who hate writing love it. Good for you! Hopefully you can get them to love books too. As for AI, I agree, it's going way too far. It's a tool, like any other. People don't seem to be able to differentiate between those who create misleading videos (AI slop) and writers who get a little help constructing a query letter or editing a sentence that isn't working. Some writers have made anti-AI their entire online personality. It's exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate is exhausting. We should make it illegal. LOL! Give society a few years and I think the storm will cool. As for now, whatever. If people say they aren't using it, they're lying.

      Delete
  10. How great it is that you're able to excite kids about writing! Great job, Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it takes ALL the energy, but it's worth it.

      Delete
  11. It is such a wonderful feeling when you inspire someone. I often get emails from English language students who admire my translation work and a number of kids went to college thanks to my nudge or advice.
    I use AI to retell a book for me if I am preparing to read a sequel and cannot remember the story LOL I actually did that yesterday because I am reading new Ildefonso Falcones book in Cathedral of the Sea saga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Dezmond! Way to be.

      That's a great use of AI! My friend was telling yesterday how she uses it as her party planner. 😂 Another was telling me how she uses it to plan costumes for an upcoming production. It's an amazing tool of the modern age.

      Delete
  12. That very thing--enthusiasm from a teacher--is everything. I had an Algebra teacher so pumped about math and finding solutions, I couldn't help be want to do it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! That's what we need in education. Not new curriculum, but educators excited to educate.

      Delete
  13. I've never used AI to help write anything. I love that you are helping the students love writing. I remember being in high school and my creative writing class as well as my reading class were my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, that's awesome! I stayed away from AI for a long time, until I realized I could give it a sentence in context and ask for synonym.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for your honesty, Crystal. Interesting that you often end up rejecting AI’s suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, mostly, they're garbage. But sometimes the thoughts get my brain spinning in new ways. That's the value.

      Delete
  15. Enthusiasm from a teacher is so important and so inspiring.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I never would have liked Biology if not for my teacher. He made it awesome.

      Delete
  16. Using AI as a tool is totally acceptable and doesn't need to be disclosed. After all, nobody says: "I write with MS Word." But using ghostwriters should be disclosed.
    You must be a great teacher. Your own fire is unmistakable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I write with MS Word... I think I'm going to use that. You okay with me quoting you?

      Delete
  17. Wow that would be hard to teach a class to kids that say they aren't interested in it. So good to hear that they are enjoying it after all, you must be a very good teacher. yes this AI stuff sure has been a game changer for many people, my hubby is an artist and he says they way people manipulate their pictures using it wrecks those that do it all by hand, it is a rough road ahead I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your husband! I'm also a composer and I admit, it has put a damper on my enthusiasm. This used to be a difficult skill to obtain.

      Delete
  18. I feel inspired just from reading this blog post! Best wishes for a great school year with the young writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thanks for the wishes. I think it's going to be a good one.

      Delete
  19. I really don't like AI. But let me liken this to something else I also don't like: tattoos. I think tattoos are stupid. I think they're ugly. But if you proudly show me your new tattoo, I'm going to find something nice to say about it. I'm not going to tell you not to get one. And I'm not going to mention it when I see them on other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very tolerant of you, Liz. There are times I've been asked if I use AI because I know how to use EM dashes. In fact, AI probably took that from my pirated books. LOL. At any rate, AI is bland and generic, but it can be a brainstorming springboard for writers. In that regard, I see it as a blessing. I mean, you have to look at the bright side, eh? Well, you don't have to, but I will.

      Delete
  20. Sounds like you're a great teacher! As an autistic who has been rigid about grammar in the past, I've been afraid I would be accused of using AI. I don't. I've never even downloaded or gone to a site (I don't know how it works, lol). But that fear still sits there, that because I'm autistic and use proper grammar (yes, semi-colons, etc.), someone will accuse me. I don't believe in witch hunts and accusations, and online mobs are no different than in-person mobs. They can do a lot of damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You use semi-colons? *gasp* Personal style preference, I kinda thing they're the devil, but I won't rally a mob. You're too brilliant a writer to be hunted down. And yes, mobs are ugly, ugly things. (Here's some anti-mob spray for you.)

      Delete
  21. Hi, Crystal. Kids need writing teachers like you to spark their flames. What you said about kids is true of most writers: Their starting efforts are sloppy and riddled with holes, but they are trying." I think kids need to know that all writers struggle with their pieces, especially at the beginning. I don't use AI in my actual writing, although I use it for research and checking my spelling and grammar (Well, WORDs spellcheck, etc. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true -- and I give my kids the author's reality on a regular basis. Maybe too much. LOL!

      AI is pretty good at grammar, but sometimes it's stupid there too -- like when you get artistic or poetic. *shrugs* I like it for brainstorming. But really, it's a springboard because it dishes out slop...with the occasional seed of good.

      Delete
  22. Oh I didn't know you were a teacher I appreciate that Nothing better in the world than inspiring the young Well done. I love AI I use it within MS Word for spelling and grammar but I use AI for many more things like planning a trip, To explain an article for me, to prepare a lesson for ESOL, to help me help people with their problems with computers and phones etc etc I am aware of the negative sites as well though

    ReplyDelete
  23. AI writing is boring. I try to avoid going to Gemini with anything creative that comes up in my mind.
    But yeah---AI is a good tool to help us research. And teach Grammar. And suggest comps. There's the line for me.

    You must be a great teacher. My eyes haven't lit up in a class for the past two years. I miss good teachers. My generation can be very annoying and might even seem disrespectful and uninterested---but we do care. Very deeply.

    This encouragement and love you give them will be something they think about again and again for they rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you are inspiring a new generation of writers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bravo to you, Crystal, teaching young children to write. To create story. To see what they think about a topic. Positive reinforcement truly matters for inspiring the young to write and create. Great post. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You don't need to be inspired to write, you just do, at least, I do. But I think starting them young is good but also bad because they form habits that's probably hard to break as adults. But I guess it depends on the individual.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your cheese!