Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How to Find Happiness A-Z: H

Photo courtesy of Stuck in Alabama2012 via flickr
Life is hilarious.

"I've always wanted to try my hand at chicken farming," says Bob.

"Really?" his farmer friend asks. "Tell you what, I'll give you 50 chickens to start you out." 

A month later Bob reports sadly, "They're all dead."

Attributing this to bad luck, the farmer decides to give Bob another 50 chickens. A month later Bob admits the chickens are all dead, again.

"You must be having some terrible luck," the farmer says. "Tell you what, I'll give you 50 more chickens." --Because no one could fail completely three times in a row. But at the end of the month, the chickens are dead. The farmer scratches his head. "What are you doing wrong?"

Bob shrugs. "I'm either planting them too deep or close together."

H is for Humor. 

I'm sorry, there are just way too many stupid or funny things that happen in life. I believe one major key to happiness is being able to laugh--at ourselves, at situations, at things that are just plain funny--and even some things that may not be so funny. What does laughing do?
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Increases blood flow and oxygen in the blood
  • Exercises various muscles (diaphragm, abdominal, respiratory, face, leg and back)
  • Decreases stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline
  • Quickens immune response cells (ones that fight against tumors)
  • Aids in learning--according to a study at John Hopkins University Medical School
  • Engages your whole brain, heightening creativity

So eat some cheese and chuckle a little too loudly. --It's for your health.

And believe it or not, it's why I married my husband.

And now for fun... Do you have a favorite blonde or knock-knock joke? 

29 comments:

  1. I'm a firm believer in finding the humor in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well you asked for it--one i made up and i think it's hilarior, but not sure anyone else really does---knock knock--who's there--rudolph- rudolph who--how many rudolphs do you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! Just last night I was noticing how much laughter there was in our house and was deeply thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for lowering my blood pressure today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love laughing! What's brown and sticky? A stick. I'm sure the only reason this joke is funny is because it's so anticlimactic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knook, knock. who's there. Boo. Boo Who? Don't cry it is just a joke. From my 10 year old daughter.

    Love humor and laughing too. It is good medicine.

    Mary Hill
    http://mary-anderingcreatively.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a bit of sarcasm for my humor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see nobody's dared to tell a blonde joke yet, so here goes...

    Q. How do you get a blonde to laugh on Saturday?
    A. Tell her a joke on Tuesday!

    *Ducks and runs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I love blonde jokes, because I used to be blonde--not platinum, mind you, but blonde enough.

      Delete
  9. Great post abd hey my H aas also Happiness. :)

    -A fellow blogger from A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol I love that joke. :-D

    My humor doesn't go along knock knock lines. But feel free to ask me for twisted jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen to this. Being able to appreciate and even embrace the absurdity of life is what keeps me going most days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is a key requirement for surviving as a mother. Laugh instead of get mad or give up. :)
    My favorite joke: what is brown and sticky?
    A stick!
    And then a 6 year old told me this joke and I laughed until I cried:
    Knock knock
    Who's there?
    Panther
    Panther who?
    Panth er no panth, I'm goin' thwimmin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got me laughing too. --And coming from a 6 yr old? *snort*

      Delete
  13. You really want to hear my joke? Ok...

    The Seven Dwarves were in the bath and they all felt happy.
    So Happy got out and they all felt grumpy.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, good one.
    This reminds me of the farmer who taught his mule to not eat any food; but just about the time he had him trained, mule up and died on him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Crystal. I've been meaning to get over here for a visit. I think laughter is absolutely essential in this life and I'm glad you think so, too. Cute joke!
    Have a great week.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your cheese!