Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers

This one goes out to mine:


She must have known the hours she spent
Laboring each day
Would yield such a marvelous legacy
To keep on in her way.

She must have known the time she gave
Would manifest divine
In the lives of her children, or children’s children,
A heritage of mine.

She must have known the years she dedicated
Denying her own desires
Though painful and tiring, overwhelming to bear
Would, her child, inspire.

Yet in some small hour she must have questioned
If her efforts would yield success.
And then she must have known deep in her heart
God loves the selfless mother.

And so do I.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this poem! Did you write it yourself or is it something you saw someone else read? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I penned out in a few minutes on Mother's day, and one I'm none too proud of, but we'll blame that on my "poetry complex". Thank you 7th grade English teacher. Sing-songy! Psha!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your cheese!