Everyone loves a good story --
One that engages
One that makes you feel
One that ends.
I started reading a book series a year ago, recommended by a friend, and 8 books in, I read the grand conclusion...only to learn there were an anticipated 8 more books to come. Over the next decade. (That number has since been upped and last I heard, it's supposed to be 22 books in total!!! !!!)
Ugh.
I don't know about you, but I would have waited for the whole thing if I'd known.
Some people prefer an ongoing story. Some want to have it all, right now.
Which are you?
And yet, there is joy in taking a journey, one episode at a time. Because writing and editing isn't enough, I've been elbow deep in video editing (and getting better all the time), writing descriptions, and scheduling posts out to the moon and back. Although I'm totally a consume-it-right-now girl, we're putting out a series. One minute at a time.
Our awesome co-hosts this month are Kate Larkinsdale, SE White, JS Pailly, Olga Godim, and Natalie Aguirre!
Happy 15 year anniversary, IWSG!!!
Today's question: Do you have a favorite character archetype you tend to gravitate toward in your writing?
Do I ever! The tortured, brooding hero is definitely a favorite (with religious/moral roots), as is the snarky female lead. Oh, and the geeky, misunderstood character. And the quiet, bullied underdog. And the righteous Javerts (justice seekers, for those not familiar with Les Miserables). --All those with a side of ridiculous support characters whose personalities are usually the opposite of my lead.
We're inviting friends to support an author this month through the hop. Unfortunately, about six months ago, my publisher pulled the first book in my series with the intent to repackage and rerelease. I don't have a date yet, but books 2 and 3 are still available, along with several anthologies I've contributed to. I'll list just my books and one anthology here.
MOONLESS









I use some of those character traits as well.
ReplyDeleteI also started a series that just never seemed to end. Gave up on it after a while.
It's sad, right? You want an arc to tie up eventually, but the mind only stretches so far.
DeleteI'm old enough to remember when books and shows were doled out one at a time so I'm still okay with that.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you, and it was TEDIOUS. But we didn't have a choice. I wish I was that patient these days. LOL!
DeleteI hate ongoing series:) The only on going thing I've ever loved and tolerated is the MCU. I don't think I could put up with books doing that to me. Definitely not with 8 more books in the next DECADE. I always start completed series only.
ReplyDeleteYou have so much patience. Video editing requires a lot of that---which is why no one trusts me with it.
Well, the MCU had a complete arc at the end of every movie. I think that's why it worked so well, and books should be the same, but we have accepted as a society the 3 book arc, that has eventually lengthened to something intangible. It's definitely a bit much.
DeleteI like a series but I don't want to wait to read the next installment. I tend to real them all in a row.
ReplyDeleteI hear you! I just want to binge it all right now, while my brain is on it! Don't risk moving on and forgetting, eh?
DeleteI love series, but they can go on to long. It take time to write a book and get it out, we all know that. But as readers our tastes change, our needs change, and a looong series can easily become repetitive. I've lost interest in a few series because of the long wait time after book 8. 😔 I'm like it's time to finish this thing up.
ReplyDeleteHaha! They shouldn't start something they can't finish, eh? I think that's why, back in the days of sanity, the gold standard was a 3 book series.
DeleteSweet Bejesus, everybody who writes a series longer than six parts should be arrested and trialed for molesting the humanity and us translators too.... Once upon time I was the first one to start translating romantasy here in my country and the editor said let us do this spicy little duology filled with epicness and filth, ok, let us. But then it turned into a trilogy, quadrology, fiftology, and five years later I am still translating the porn shit with novel six. Have mercy upon us!
ReplyDeleteYou sound traumatized. SEND DESMOND A DOCTOR! (Therapist, maybe?)
DeleteOkay, just for you, we'll avoid that affliction -- at least in the...porogrpahic bent. You're a trooper, my friend.
When I like something, I prefer reading it in one go. I've found that even a year later, my tastes have changed and continuing a series then is often disappointing.
ReplyDeleteOh, I get that! We have moods, right? And then there are book trends too... So many factors...
DeleteIt depends on the series, whether the books are true sequels or can be read as standalones. (I prefer writing loosely connected books in series; it makes staying true to my canon easier.) My new series has 16 books planned. We'll see...
ReplyDeleteWhew! 16? That's epic.
DeleteI agree. Stand alones are the way to go if you're putting out that many books -- in my opinion -- with a running theme.
8 books is already a long series, but double that? Nooooooo. I would also have waited until more books were out. If it's more than a couple years between bunches of series books, I forget most of the details. I don't have the time to back and read the previous 8 again just to fully enjoy the next one, only to have to repeat that again and again.
ReplyDeleteSo... I don't forget, but I get mad at authors sometimes for making me wait. It's not a conscious thing. LOL! But it does affect my feelings toward the book. It's an amazing series, really. Probably worth the wait? Maybe? If I live that long? Haha!
DeleteI would be crushed if I found out that there were eight more books--not to be released for over a decade. We were glad we discovered Ludwig last spring, right before the new season goes live next month--because most people had to wait a couple of years. I think it's funny that you mention Javert, because I had a character like that in an unfinished manuscript. I even gave him a similar name. I love what Les Mis says about forgiveness and grace.
ReplyDeleteLes Mis is the best, right?! I mean, so hard to read, but the best!
DeleteThere are too many great books out there to be caught up in an endless series. I prefer standalone books, even when I'm sad to read The End of a particularly good book. However, having written that, I have read short series and found the books very engaging.
ReplyDeleteLoved your choice of favorite characters. They make for excellent reading.
Yeah, if it's a YA fantasy series, the 3 book arc is expected. I suppose that's actually true for many genres. The problem is when an author abuses that privilege because they can. I mean, I would totally do it if there was money to be made, but still...
DeleteI use to read years ago an Author in England, Maeve Binchy, but I have not read books like that in ages. I read devotionals and the bible and that is my extent of reading, my hobbies have taken over my free time :)
ReplyDeleteI get that! And such lovely hobbies! I actually lost my reading thread for several years when my first 3 kids were young and we were moving across the country so much, but it came back eventually. We do gravitate to the things we love, eh?
DeleteI am writing a 3 book series. Never thought I'd do that but the characters need more space to play.
ReplyDeleteI get that! Three books is totally reasonable. Twenty? Well...
DeleteI like series, but I don't want to read 24 books at once. The only series that I like continuing like that are mysteries where there are different mysteries to solve in each book,
ReplyDeleteHaha! I can see that. Mysteries tend to have their own set of rules, seeing how any single book could be a stand alone.
DeleteThere are a couple of series that I've been reading for 25-30 years and the series is going strong. I'm still loving the books that come out.
ReplyDeleteWhew! Okay, Mary, you win. You are officially the distance runner. Hat off to you!
DeleteI only read non-fiction. If an author has written a book I particularly like I may look at whatever other books he or she has written, but I am not really into series. Thank you so much for sharing, Crystal.
ReplyDeleteI can see that. I do all my nonfiction reading online. ;) Book for me are reserved for pleasure.
DeleteI say enough is enough. I am going at 20 in the October Daye series and well it could just end now, please end now
ReplyDeleteHahahaha! Tell you what, let's hunt down the author, drop a threatening letter and... Okay maybe we shouldn't do that.
DeleteI do like series, but sometimes it's torture waiting for the next book. And it's even worse when the series goes on for too long and the books become low quality. (Looking at you, Joanne Fluke,)
ReplyDeleteOh yeah! When the quality dies, I'm outta there. I'll read someone's spoiler review later and figure out what I missed...if I have to know.
DeleteI don't mind series, but rarely long ones. In my view, 3 to 5 books is the optimal length of a series, unless it is a mystery. Then the series could be as long as the author wishes, as the protagonists investigate one mystery after another.
ReplyDeleteRight!? Mysteries go by their own set of rules. Silly mysteries!
DeleteThe brooding hero sounds good.
ReplyDeleteLOL! Definitely. Who doesn't love a good brooding lead?
DeleteI love reading series because when I get attached to characters I don't want the story to be over. So when I write, I keep the end semi open and if and when their next story strikes off I go again.
ReplyDeleteI get that! There's nothing like returning to a character/world we love already, eh?
DeleteIt is nice to be able to read a published series all in a row. :) And I made a purchase from your list!
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you, Yvonne! Yes, I prefer to read the whole thing at once -- to keep continuity on the characters and plot.
DeleteI do love reading a long series, but 22 books is a bit much.
ReplyDeleteAgreed. A great bit much.
DeleteMoonless was one of my top ten favorite books. It has been pulled? Boo. That's like a mouse taking the cheese!
ReplyDelete“As the alluring song of September begins to whisper in my ear, my passionate spirit yearns for the splendor of its promise." -- Peggy Toney Horton.
J (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) @JLenniDorner ~ Speculative Fiction & Reference Author and Co-host of the April Blogging #AtoZChallenge international blog hop
So you just made my month. 😁 Not to mention my daughter read your comment and now she's raving.
DeleteDon't worry, Moonless will hit the shelves again, it's just a question of whether it will have a new cover, blurb, etc.
I tend to read a series of books a little bit at a time, but when I get to the last couple, I'll rip through them.
ReplyDeleteThat's one way to do it! I suppose it's a slow addiction process? 😂
DeleteI like everything all at once- hate waiting. I don’t know that I could cope with a story that long as I would lose interest even if it was a little bit interesting. Sometimes if you have too much cheddar cheese, you want some Brie.
ReplyDeleteI am with you 100%! Actually, this series is ridiculously engaging, and keeps introducing new characters and quirks. Honestly though, after I got through book eight, I was pretty put out.
DeleteHappy 15th IWSG Anniversary. A series? I like old series where everything is available immediately. I don't want to have to wait.
ReplyDeleteRight!? I mean, it's too easy to find another shiny before you can finish enjoying this one.
DeleteI love a good series. I enjoy living in those worlds for a while. But, I also don't know how to stop reading at night. I've had nights where I'm up until 4 AM because I can't quite stop. So, longer isn't always better.
ReplyDeleteI happened upon an author a couple years ago who writes trilogies. Her newest came out in August. Well, book 1. Book 2 comes out this month, and book 3 will be out in October. I won't bother to start until October. (I did the same last year.)
Oh, do I ever hear you on the 4:00 a.m. reading sessions!
DeleteYeah, that's always kind of been my take on things: wait until the entire series is out, then enjoy.
Your series is terrific!
ReplyDeleteAw, Sherry, you're the best!
DeleteYeah, some series really get out of hand. I finished a two-book series the other day and found myself wanting more, but it all ended in a nice, neat conclusion so I'm not going to complain! It's so rare to find that these days.
ReplyDeleteYou're not kidding! Maybe you can convince somebody to produce it as a TV show, and then you can have more. 😂
DeleteI love (and prefer) a good standalone. Sequels are fine and so often needed to reassure readers that the protag will, indeed be alright. Eventually ;-) Series books aren't my favorite, unless or until they make to film. Great conversation. Thanks, Crystal!
ReplyDeleteThanks for joining us, Deidre! You know, it's interesting, sometimes I want to stand alone, and sometimes I want a series. It really depends on the genre.
DeleteThe ideal is to read a series after they are finished being published but that's never the case because sometimes even when a series is completed, someone decided it needed more books. I really like to read series only if they are completed but that usually mean reading older books and never new releases. I think a series with all the books be released all at once or at least, commit to a certain number to the book and stick with and not go and changed that and frustrated those what expected a certain number of books to end a series.
ReplyDeleteI do also kind of like the tortured, brooding hero but I may have gotten sick of them. It's rare now to have main characters without some tragic back story. I may have only encountered one such book. Any snarky characters I like, female, male, an animal, a supernatural being - all types. But I don't really like to put people into characters because people don't naturally fall into just one type of character and also, you'll never know what type of characters you might end up liking because we don't always read the same type of books, at least, I prefer to read all types of books.
Have a lovely day.
P.S., if this comment repeats, I apologized because I had trouble since it kept saying publishing but refuse to do anything so I had to try commenting with different browsers.