Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2026

5 Reasons Why You Should NEVER Begin Something New

Beginnings are hard, right?

1. They suck the life out of you. Day and night, you worry and stress and plot.

2. They're slow. (Enough said.)

3. They leave you teetering, questioning your choices. There's no balance to beginning something.

4. They take SO MUCH WORK!


5. You MIGHT succeed, and succeeding can be a lot scarier than failure.

Once you get moving, momentum grows.

“The hardest part is always the beginning, when you feel uncomfortable. Know that this is normal, and all you need to do is go against your emotions. ...face your fears, be uncomfortable, and experiment with different strategies until you find something that works.”

― Jamie Cooper, Albert Einstein: Extraordinary Life Lessons That Will Change Your Life Forever

In the last four years, I feel like I've started again about fifty times. But like Wright Brothers (who failed more times than I want to count, going through 200 different wing shapes for planes and risking everything while unemployed), we keep trying.


Because beginning something is easy. Seeing it through takes dedication, fortitude, and the willingness to start and start again.

This week, we are starting something NEW.

We're publishing the entire STAGED READING of our musical in 1 minutes episodes over the coming weeks. Subscribe so you don't miss out!



Our awesome co-hosts are Shannon Lawrence, Diedre Knight, Liza, and Pat Garcia!

Today's question: As a writer/author what is something you regret? Or something that you wish you'd done differently in your writing process?

I'm skipping this one, but I look forward to reading everyone's responses!


How do you feel about beginning something new? Are you in the midst of a new project? Do you like musical theatre?

71 comments:

  1. You're right, so many begin but that's as far as they get.
    Cool you are publishing the readings of your play.
    And that drifting balloon is just creepy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought it was more depressing than creepy, but I can see it.

      Delete
  2. Starting new things is hard. I'm experiencing that myself right now.

    And congrats/good luck on the play! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you're going to knock it out of the park, I'm sure! Here's sending cheese.

      Delete
  3. You're right that starting something new is hard. Good luck with your current project for your play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And soon we'll pivot and do something else new, eh? This is the way.

      Delete
  4. Feel the fear and do it anyway. (A great book by the way.) Congrats on the new venture with the play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! If we don't push through, we get stopped at the gate and wonder what might have been. I think that's the biggest tragedy.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Likewise! You have a pretty awesome plate balancing gig.

      Delete
  6. "Succeeding can be a lot scarier than failure."
    That line took me back to watching the sales dashboard of my debut novel. When the number suddenly shot up, I thought, "Yea! People are buying my book!" Then, "Oh no! People are going to read my book!" LOL

    Congrats on the YouTube readings. Tempting rabbit hole when I should be writing. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the videos are only a minute long each, so you know, not TOO much of a distraction. LOL!

      Delete
  7. Beginnings are definitely quite hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But once you get the momentum going, they carry themselves, eh?

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    I so agree. It is easier to begin something than to keep doing it, especially if you have been hit with a sickness that seems to suck up all your energy.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ESPECIALLY when you are being hit by sickness or other health challenges. I tell you what... Whew! We've definitely had our share of those.

      Delete
  9. It's been so long since I've started anything new that I wonder if I even remember how to do it.

    Love musical theater. Wishing you all the best with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Well, you started a new day every day, so I will respectfully disagree with you. ;)

      Delete
  10. Such true words, but if you don't constantly go after the new, you get stale and bored. I'm not saying anything you don't already know--live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! Life is about change and growth and new adventures. There's no such thing as normal.

      Delete
  11. Hi again, Crystal! Nice to "see" you again. For me, beginnings are the best part, at least when it comes to writing books. I love the start of a fresh story. If anything, it's the murky middles where I run into trouble. Good luck with your musical! It takes guts to post things online, especially creative work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waves* Middles are hard too. But I feel like once you've started into something, that motivation carries you through the middles slog. Hopefully.

      Delete
  12. Loved this post, Crystal! Funny and wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We have to laugh at ourselves...or else we cry, eh?

      Delete
  13. Good luck with the new short episodes, given the attention span of today's generations, that is the only way to do it! Not that I don't vent out on YouTube cooks whose videos are longer than three minutes LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's true. People just can't stay focused for long periods anymore. Long gone are the days of 7 minute attention spans (thank you, commercial breaks).

      Delete
  14. This post reminds me of Brene Brown talking about the discomfort and imposter syndrome we experience with FFTs (or effing first times). She said we sometimes try to avoid first experiences or beginnings, but FFTs are the special sauce of life. I enjoy musical theater. Two of my favorite musicals are Les Mis and Starlight Express.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true! Those first experiences are blessings full of learning. And we shouldn't fear them.

      Les Mis! It used to be one of my favorites, but it's too hard to watch. I LOVE the book. Fiddler is my top -- along with Phantom.

      Delete
  15. I had to chuckle at all of these, but fearing success made me laugh out loud! How true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly! But you're a great example of pressing through, Lee -- and adapting to the changes as they come.

      Delete
  16. For me, the middle is always harder than the beginning. I get so excited to start something new, and often the first chapter comes to me. Not that I revise it plenty later. But being like the Wright Brothers is great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. I should whip out my post about sagging middles some time here soon, but I think a lot of people get scared before they ever take the first leap.

      Delete
  17. I am a big believer in Newton's first law. Once in motion, it's easy to keep going, but getting started IS hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I've witnessed this again and again through our homeschooling efforts. It's much easier to keep the kids moving than to stop and start again.

      Delete
  18. I'm afraid of starting new things. Change scares me. But I guess I should, at least sometimes. I wish you all the luck with your new, one-minute episode endeavor. Sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New things can be scary, but that's how we truly live, right? Taking chances, getting messy?

      Delete
  19. Thank you for your reminder about the challenges facing us writers when we start something new! Very timely for me as I'm embarking on a brand new story. I don't even know the characters or even the basic plot line, but there's something there that keeps drawing me in. And so we persevere! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Sending lots of cheese! You've got this, Beth.

      Delete
  20. Crystal, I really love this post! Humorous and so needed! Laughter is very good medicine, thank you so much for sharing, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not kidding! If we didn't laugh, we'd die, right?

      Delete
  21. This was such an enjoyable and informative article to read. I really appreciate how clearly the topic has been explained without making the information feel complicated or difficult to follow. The details, explanations, and overall presentation make the post genuinely useful for readers who want to understand the subject better. I also liked how naturally the article flows from one point to another, keeping the reader interested throughout. It is clear that a good amount of thought and effort has gone into putting this content together. Posts like this are valuable because they provide useful information while still being pleasant and easy to read. Definitely a great piece of content, and I look forward to reading more articles like this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a terrific post! I've enjoyed it all ;-)
    Determination, once you get going, really is key to a successful process.
    Have you read The Bad Weather Friend (Koontz)?
    Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I LOVE Koontz, but no, I haven't read that one. I'm going to have to check it out.

      Delete
  23. What a fun way to describe this phenomenon that we all go through. I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as we'd like to escape it... Right?! There is no escape. Haha!

      Delete
  24. Starting is the hardest part for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Meaning we should always grant ourselves a little grace while attempting it, eh?

      Delete
  25. Starting is always the hardest part. Once you get rolling though, that's where the magic happens. The beginning is daunting for sure and I usually end up writing it several times before it feels right. Thanks for the fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that! There was one book I started in 7 different places, trying to find the right spot for the beginning. It's a tricky art, eh?

      Delete
  26. Starting things is hard. My particular brand of neurospicy has issues with that. I'm working on it. Or rather, working up to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that of itself is a beginning. Baby steps, eh? Sometimes we have to work our way up to the starting line.

      Delete
  27. Beginning is so hard! But then, I did hear a famous author speaking the other day, and he was saying that, unlike other professions where you gain mastery with time, writing never gets any easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it! I keep thinking this time the words will just flow. Haha! Well, sometimes they do. Take that, famous author. (And then I edit the life out of them.)

      Delete
  28. Hello Crystal! I actually like starting new things, I think that’s my biggest regret is that I am unable to have the patience to see them through at the point when you need to see them through and you have to keep trying and banging on doors and pushing no matter how pointless it all seems. That’s the point where I give up and start another new thing! However, I’m going to a new thing tonight and I’m a little bit nervous about. I’m going to a free verse poetry class and I’ve never really got to grips with free verse because there are no rules which makes me feel left out in the wild. There must be some rule? So, I’m off to tread into unknown waters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You should see how many books I have sitting in my computer. When I get bored with one, or just don't love it for the moment, I bounce to another. Occasionally, I even finish one.

      I hope your poetry adventures go well. Knowing you, they're going to be a wild ride anyway. ;)

      Delete
  29. So true that sometimes succeeding is scarier! I sometimes struggle with which project to start first, but ultimately it's just starting *something* that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. We can second guess until the day is over.

      Delete
  30. Sounds like an interesting idea to post one minute shorts of your play. Yeah, new stuff are scary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Attention spans are shrinking. Sadly. You ahve to do what you have to do, eh?

      Delete
  31. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed this post. It's entertaining and insightful. I think it's cool you guys are releasing 1 minute clips of your play. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's how we get people. Anyone can afford one minute, right?

      Delete
  32. Yes beginning anything new without knowing how it will turn out can be quite stress inducing. Good luck with all your new adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie! So true. Thank goodness we can always start fresh, eh?

      Delete
  33. I love the challenge of starting something new....but after a while I have to remind myself that when it gets tough that I chose to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that! And then I question if it's worth the aggravation, and most times it is.

      Delete
  34. I'm just in awe that you've written a musical. You rock, woman:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Sandra. I think in this day of AI it's a little less impressive...but we were AI free, so... Sending virtual cheese your way!

      Delete
  35. Wow, I did not know starting anew is this hard

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sometimes starting new things can be very hard indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  37. They're slow. ikr, I'd rather watch snails race:)

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your cheese!